Doulas are trained professionals experienced in providing support through pregnancy, birth, and the early postpartum transition for new families.
Doulas specializing in newborn adoption support seek to work in conjunction with every member of the adoption team, and lend their expertise to help ensure a smooth transition for the birth mother, the baby, and the adopting family, through a number of specialized skills that no other adoption professional can offer.
Adoption doulas have a unique position which serves to provide the birth mother with the following:
- private, adoption-specific birth education and preparation.
- customized birth plan tailored to fit her needs and desires.
- comfort, assurance and uninterrupted labor support.
- initial postpartum support, including assistance with her breastmilk decision.
- joining her as she leaves the hospital, so that she doesn’t have to leave alone.
- help her identify support resources should she transition to a parenting plan at any time.
- one optional postpartum visit to ensure she has identified counseling and support resources for herself.
In addition, adoption doulas have a unique position which serves to provide the adopting family with the following:
- private, adoption-specific birth education and preparation, unique to the adopting family’s needs.
- availability during labor by nearby support (options vary) if presence isn’t invited by birth mother, to assist the adopting family in how best to support the birth mother through her birth plan and experience, and to work through their own needs at this time.
- postpartum support in bonding, feeding choices including breastfeeding, and navigating the many questions new families face.
Schedule an initial interview with an adoption doula to discuss:
- what an adoption doula has to bring to the adoption birth experience, including professionalism, confidentiality, and expert personalized service.
- why adoption doula support may increase the confidence of the birth mother in her adoption decision.
- how an adoption doula can accomadate providing her services in whatever unique adoption situation you may have.
Whether you are the birth mother, or the adopting family, newborn adoption doulas have vital support to provide you through your experience. We work with your unique situation and offer services that work in harmony with everyone involved. Interview a newborn adoption doula today to see how she can help support you in your upcoming newborn adoption!
Find us on Facebook! Visit the Adoption Doulas page today!